Wednesday 14 July 2010

July 2010 - New and Old Drawings

Hello!
It's been a little while again! This month I thought I would post some of my drawings as they are the main inspiration for shapes, colours and textures in my paintings. I generally draw in monochrome using inks, pastels, pens, charcoal etc but have started to experiment with some colour recently. Every few months I stop painting and go out and take photographs, make drawings and collect found objects, I normally do this when I feel like I've exhausted all my previous research material (and plus it's good fun and great to get back to nature!). So please have a look and keep your eyes open in the next few weeks for news on up and coming gallery shows and new paintings I am yet to photograph!

This is one of my experiments with colour using different inks.


This is the same scenery as the drawing above but it has a different feel to it as I used different materials, oil pastels on watercolour paper. I am a great believer in doing something more than once as it makes you look with fresh eyes and I may capture something second time round that I missed first time.

I used this drawing for a painting called 'Tissington Trail' (previously posted) The path leading to the circle of light at the end was interesting but for the painting I inverted the light and dark areas.
And finally here are some snowdrops I saw on a walk, however I decided to do them orange so they stood out on the white paper, I often like to draw on coloured paper to make the subjuct pop out more.

No comments: